Wednesday, May 14, 2008

is anything reallly...unfair?

I was in a carpool the other day when one of my passengers mentioned something to me
"Michael, you are so incredibly intelligent, yet you have the worse command on the english language".  This should be an utterly devastating comment, but I believe it would've been much worse if I was an academic failure.  I'm not sure why I link it to academia but I do.  If I was an academic failure than I would feel like a nobody in this world since I'd expect that my intellect was nothing but a bowl of mush.  
Although I've spent a lot of time telling people to respect themselves and not to care about the expectations of society.  It's inevitable that we will be effected by societal judgements.  The real question is, is it fair and does it really matter?  
And I don't think either of those questions can be answered with a yes or no.  If I say it's unfair for someone to judge me based on their own standards since they never walked in my developmental shoes, than I'm simply disregarding another part of who I am; a believer in G-d.  I can't call myself a victim, since the most catastrophic victims who are considered righteous amongst the generation were (more often than not) symbolic and literal martyrs.  Why does it make them not a victim?  Because although no one can rationalize calamity of any proportion and think they know exactly what they are talking about...but if we truly believe in G-d, than what comes to us is something we must learn from and understand its implications.
Nothing is coincidental, nothing is meaningless, and nothing but nothing is...un-fair
However, that's easy for me to say in he comfort of my own home.  It makes me think only one thing...how much more meaning I should put into my prayer to G-d...so I will have the STRENGTH to understand the meaning behind all of life's challenges.  
That's....the key

No comments: